Sports Mouthguards in Cleveland, TN
Sports mouthguards are crucial for protecting athletes’ dental health, especially in contact sports with a high risk of oral-facial injuries. Like helmets and pag, mouthguards are not just a precaution but a necessary piece of equipment. Statistics reveal that approximately 12% of all male athletes aged 12-18 have experienced an oral-facial injury, with the number rising to an alarming 32% among football players. These figures highlight the importance of mouthguards in preventing dental trauma, which can range from chipped or broken teeth to more severe jaw injuries.
By wearing a properly fitted performance mouthguard, athletes can significantly reduce the risk of such injuries, ensuring their focus remains on the game rather than on potential dental emergencies.
Understanding Sports Mouthguards
Mouthguards come in three main types: stock, boil-and-bite, and custom-fitted.
- Stock mouthguards: These basic mouthguards are pre-formed and ready to use. However, they don’t provide a secure fit and are, therefore, less effective. They also wear down rapidly and may require replacement mid-season.
- Boil-and-bite mouthguards: Boil-and-bite mouthguards can be softened in hot water and then shaped around the teeth. Although they offer a better fit, these last about as long as stock mouthguards. However, they can lose their fit over time, increasing the risk of injury.
- Custom-fitted mouthguards: Offered by dentists, these are the most comfortable and protective, as they are made from the best materials and tailored to each individual’s mouth. At The Center for Cosmetic Dentistry, our unique strength lies in being a family-run practice with three generations of dentists. This familial bond ensures a legacy of expert care and a deep commitment to providing the highest quality mouthguards for you or your child. When you opt for a custom mouthguard, we will take impressions of your teeth, which will be sent to a lab. Once your custom-created mouthpiece is ready, you’ll return for a final fitting at our office.
Under Armour Performance Mouthwear™
At The Center for Cosmetic Dentistry in Cleveland, TN, we proudly offer Under Armour Performance Mouthwear™ as a tailored solution for athletes. This product uses the latest developments in design and technology to help athletes achieve peak performance.
Teeth clenching, often an involuntary reaction during physical exertion, poses a risk to dental health. Under Armour’s custom-fitted Performance Mouthwear offers essential protection for athletes across various sports, including football, basketball, softball, and hockey. This allows athletes of all ages to train intensively and excel in their sport while safeguarding their teeth.
Made with exclusive ArmourBite™ technology, these innovative mouthpieces come in two styles. UA Performance Mouthpieces enhance physical performance, enabling more intense training and improved non-contact sports performance. UA Performance Mouthguards provide customized dental protection specifically for contact sports.
What Can Sports Mouthguards Protect Against?
Sports mouthguards are essential in preventing dental injuries when participating in contact sports like football, basketball, boxing, and wrestling. However, they also offer vital protection in other non-contact activities with the chance of injury, like gymnastics, biking, and rock climbing. Outside of sports, they can even protect against certain oral and medical conditions:
- Tooth fractures, dislocations, and soft tissue cuts
- Teeth grinding at night (bruxism)
- Symptoms of TMJ disorder
- Snoring and sleep apnea disruptions
Caring for Your Sports Mouthguard
Proper care is key for all types of mouthguards. Regular cleaning, proper storage, and frequent monitoring for wear and tear are essential. Athletes should replace their mouthguards if they become distorted or uncomfortable.
- After use, wash your mouthguard with cold water and scrub it gently with a toothbrush.
- Store your mouthpiece in a cool, dry place—preferably in a ventilated container.
- Keep it away from direct sunlight or hot surfaces.
- Bring your guard to your dental cleanings so we can examine the appliance and let you know when replacement is necessary.
Start Protecting Your Teeth
Whether you play a sport or want enhanced protection against teeth grinding and TMJ disorder, investing in a high-quality custom mouthpiece is a wise decision. To ensure your teeth receive the best possible protection, we invite you to contact our office and schedule a visit. With a custom mouthpiece, you can be confident that your teeth are well-protected the next time you face an impact during a game.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, the mouthguard will protect your braces as well as your teeth. In this case, a custom-fitted mouthguard is a much better option, as it can be precisely molded to the contours of your braces.
This depends on the quality of your mouthguard. Store-bought mouthguards will wear quickly and will likely need to be replaced a few times per year. Custom-made mouthguards, with their higher-quality materials and personalized fit, can last multiple years if cared for properly. However, children and teens may need more frequent replacements as their mouths and teeth grow.